Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty
MS, FRCS | Founder, Chairman and Senior Consultant Cardiac Surgeon
Cardiac Surgery – Adult
Cardiac Surgery – Paediatric
Narayana Institute of Cardiac Sciences,
Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty is the Founder, Chairman and Senior Consultant Cardiac Surgeon at Narayana Health.
Over the course of his distinguished career, Dr. Shetty and his team have performed over 1,20,000 heart surgeries, 40% of them are on children. He also had the privilege of being the personal Physician to Saint Teresa of Kolkata. In 2000, he started Narayana Health (then known as Narayana Hrudayalaya) in Bangalore. Since its inception, NH has now grown to be one of India’s largest healthcare groups providing world-class, affordable, safe and quality care for all.
As an expert in the field of Cardiac Surgery, Dr. Shetty is invited by the National Board of Examinations to officiate as an independent examiner for the fellowship students in Cardiac Surgery and in the evaluation of institutions as training centres for CardioThoracic Surgeons.
Dr. Shetty conceived the idea of micro health insurance to address the need of making healthcare affordable to the weaker sections of society. The program, named ‘Yeshaswini Micro Health Insurance’, allows people to pay a small premium per month and have access to over 800 surgical procedures when needed in over 400 network hospitals across the state.
Dr. Shetty is recognised for his thought leadership in creating national health policies and developing ingenious solutions for affordable healthcare delivery. He is a regular panelist in discussions with the Government of India, state governments and trade bodies.
A strong advocate for the application of technology in healthcare delivery, Dr. Shetty is involved in projects that can reduce time, cost and improve clinical efficacy in healthcare delivery.
- Senior consultant cardiac surgeon – B M Birla Heart Research Centre, Kolkata, India 1989-1996.
- Senior Consultant Cardiac Surgeon – Manipal Heart Foundation, Bangalore, India 1996-2001.
- Founder, Chairman and Senior Consultant, Cardiac Surgery, Narayana Health, Bangalore, India – 2001 till date.
- MBBS from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore -1979.
- MS (General Surgery) from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore – 1982.
- Fellow of Royal college of Surgeons, England (FRCS, England).
- Trained as cardio thoracic surgeon under National Health Service UK at Brompton Hospital, West Midlands cardio thoracic rotation program, Guys Hospital London Between 1983-1989.
- Professor of International Health – University of Minnesota Medical School, USA.
- Professor, Rajeev Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, India.
Area of Expertise
- Paediatric cardiac surgery, Valve Repairs in infants and children
- Pulmonary Endarterectomy, Ross procedure
- Redo Heart Surgery
- Surgery for Aortic Aneurysms.
Awards & Recognition
- Lifetime Achievement – Clinical Care (Gold), 2018.
- Lifetime Achievement – Public Leadership (Gold), 2018.
- Dr. Ida S. Scudder Humanitarian Oration, 2015.
- Doctor of Science from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, 2014.
- Nikkei Asia Prize in the category of Economic and Business Innovation 2014 in Tokyo.
- FT Arcelor Mittal Boldness in Business Awards 20th March 2013.
- Padma Bhushan – 2012 (Third Highest Civilian Award conferred by the Government of India).
- The Economist Innovation Award 2011 for Lowering Health Care Costs.
- The President’s Award by Minnesota Chapter 2011.
- Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa) University of Minnesota, USA 2011.
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by University of Mysore 2011.
- Indian of the Year 2010 – Awarded by NDTV 15th February 2011.
- Commendation for driving affordable and quality healthcare for all 2010 – Healthcare Awards Program by ICICI Lombard & CNBC TV18 2010.
- Social Entrepreneurship Award – World Economic Forum – 2005.
- India Innovation Award – 2004, By NDTV & EMPI (Awarded to Micro Health Insurance Division).
- Citizen Extraordinaire, Rotary – 2004.
- Dr. B C Roy Award – 2004 (Highest Indian award for the Doctor from Medical council of India).
- Padmashree – 2003 (India’s fourth highest civilian award).
- Ernst & Young – Entrepreneur of the Year – 2003.
- Sir M. Visvesvaraya Memorial Award – 2003.
- Rajyotsava Award – 2002.
Dr. Devi Shetty Videos
Reducing the Cost of Healthcare
Narayana Health is leading the charge to reduce the cost of healthcare in India
You can also write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org